1. What is your role at 93digital?
Marketing, events & community manager – I also look after our FINITE community!
2. What does an average day for you look like?
Every morning starts with a quick check on any updates/news that may have come in out of hours over email/social media/slack, but after this every day is different. Throughout the week I will focus on our social media strategy, growing our FINITE community, working on content, or planning the next webinar!
3. What’s the most challenging part of your job?
Some of the marketing software that we use at 93digital was fairly new to me – e.g HubSpot, so with a little help at the beginning from some of the team (Darren!) I got to grips with it. You also need to have a good handle on your priorities for the day/week and make sure those get done ahead of getting distracted by stats and reports!
4. Any advice for those who want to do what you do?
As technology and social media change, so do parts of the digital marketing space. So I’d advise keeping on top of these changes and industry news. My favourite way to do this is through podcasts – listening gives me time to digest and reflect, hearing other marketers be excited about what they do is also quite inspirational – especially as we’re WFH. Some of my favourites are:
- Social media marketing podcast
- (Although I’m probably biased) the FINITE podcasts are awesome! As they look at key marketing topics but exclusively from the B2B tech company view. Most recently the episode with April Dunford about positioning in a downturn and how this differs from the norm was hugely valuable!
- I have also just discovered the ‘Everyone hates marketers’ & particularly enjoyed the practical episode on the power of effective case studies.
5. What future design and/or technology developments in the industry are you excited about?
Much like everyone else, I’m super excited for the potential of AI. Particularly, natural language processing. Speaking (IMO) is the most efficient way to communicate with each other/devices, and probably one of the easiest ways to consume a lot of information quickly. As devices get better at understanding and communicating via speech, it will be interesting to see what we can get beyond Alexa, how this will change search, & its impact on data privacy laws.
6. What are your passions/hobbies/interests?
Before lock down you’d probably find me life drawing at the pub or wandering around Columbia Road flower market – these days I am trying not to over-water my plants, doing virtual pub quizzes and thinking about creating a virtual marketing book club! (give me a shout if this is of interest email@example.com!)
7. What’s your favourite thing to read in print/online?
I’m a big fan of decision making/behavioural economics books – recently I have once again picked up ‘Predictably Irrational’ by Dan Ariely.
8. Tell us a random fact about you…
I once competed for Great Britain in Synchronised Ice Skating Championships! ⛸
Planning user journeys into your website redesign project
Tips & resources to optimise your WordPress site for speed
Do you have an exciting strategic project coming up that you would like to talk about?