You’ve decided that you’d like to turn your website into an app, what next? Well one route is turning your site into a PWA – a Progressive Web App.
In this blog post, we talk about how you can combine the benefits of native mobile apps and the openness of the web using Progressive Web Apps (PWA) with WordPress.
What is a Progressive Web Application (PWA)?
However, it is possible to install a progressive web app onto a mobile home screen with an icon so a user can open the apps with a simple click. Progressive web apps can be used without internet access (offline) with the help of service workers. Progressive web apps can also send notifications to the user.
Benefits of Progressive Web Application (PWA)?
- PWAs are cheaper than other apps: content only needs to be produced once, it saves time and money compared to creating content separately for iOS, Android, and a website.
- PWA allows your app to be viewed offline: with the help of service workers the site can cache assets of the website, so the user loses internet connection and some content will be displayed.
- No App store required: since the PWA is running through the web the user does not have to go through the hassle of downloading your app through an app store.
- Improved page speed: by upgrading your website to a progressive web app and following Progressive Web App Checklist outlined by Google will improve the user experience of your site as one of the benefits of service worker caching allows your webpage to load quicker.
Convert Your Site Into PWA
1. Manually Develop Your PWA
2. Use a WordPress Plugin
If you have no coding experience I would recommend using a WordPress PWA plugin to save you time and cost.
- SuperPWA – SuperPWA is easy to set up and configure. It takes less than a minute to set-up your Progressive Web App.
- PWA for WP and AMP – PWA for WP & AMP gives your website an app-like experience to your users which will get your website to their home screen and works instantly like an app with offline support.
- Progressive WordPress (PWA) – Progressive WordPress (PWA) enables PWA features on your WordPress website. Progressive WordPress encourages users to add your website to their home screen. It allows offline usage by pre-caches all critical assets of your website so no more error downasaur!
Send Push Notifications
You can also send push notifications automatically when a new post is published to your WordPress site using One Signal Plugin. PWA WordPress plugins like SuperPWA work with One signal plugin so your users who are using your PWA app can receive push notifications from your site. Below is an example of a push notification.
What’s involved in a website discovery and definition phase?
You’ve launched your website – now what?
Do you have an exciting strategic project coming up that you would like to talk about?